Photo by Happy Takes Photography
With the new year upon us, engaged Milwaukee couples are ramping up the wedding planning! We know being engaged is an exciting time, but it can also be a little overwhelming when you start to plan. It seems like everyone has an opinion on what you should do first, including family members and well-meaning strangers! We’re here to help you with some tried and true advice from wedding professional on the essential things you should be focusing on first.
1) Budget: Not the most fun part of wedding planning, but it’s honestly the most important. Before you start calling venues, visiting bridal shows, or shopping for the dress, you and your partner should establish a budget. This important talk will help set the stage for a successful wedding (and a successful marriage, too!). Budget is not a bad word! Establishing a budget first means that you can get some useful insights into what is important to your partner. Even when you know someone well enough to marry them, you might be surprised at what they deem a “must have” and what they feel can be cut back on or eliminated. Having a budget range can be helpful as well as there may be some expenses that you didn’t consider that pop up during the planning process.
2) Guest List: Getting your guest list together can be stressful, but it doesn’t have to be if you follow a few established rules that you agree on. Now that you have the budget, it’s time to get down to business and figure out who you want to invite to your wedding. Here are our favorite tips for paring down the list:
- If you or your fiancé has never heard of the person before, don’t invite them
- If you or your fiancé have not spoken to someone in 5 years (and they are not family), don’t invite them
- If you feel like you must invite someone because you were in their wedding years ago, but you no longer have contact, we are here to tell you that you don’t have to
- Have difficult conversations with parents face to face to avoid misunderstandings on their role in the guest list process
- Adults only weddings are perfectly permissible but be sure to let friends and family who have young children know this well in advance so that they can make plans for childcare
3) Wedding Planning Services: You might be surprised to find out that wedding planning services are more affordable than you think. We offer different levels of consultation services starting with consulting services through full-service wedding planning. Even if you love planning, there are parts of the wedding planning that can be tedious and frustrating. We can help research vendors, give you suggestions on venues and even help with the mundane tasks of stuffing envelopes and taking those invitations to the post office. Here’s a quick rundown of the services that Milwaukee couples hire Timeless Events for.
- Consulting: Charged by the hour, consider us your Milwaukee wedding resource! We’ll help with whatever you need advice on. Consulting service is perfect if you are having trouble choosing venues or vendors because the options are overwhelming. We’ll help you break it down!
- Set Up and Take Down Services: Those beautiful centerpieces you worked on look great, but who’s going to take them down at the end of the night? It may come as a shock that it’s not always the venue’s responsibility. Don’t rely on friends and family who could forget. We can help!
- Day of or Month of Coordination: Have everything pretty well planned but need help with last minute details so you can enjoy your day? Our Day of or Month of Coordination services are perfect for this. We’ll customize to your needs!
- Assisted Planning: Wouldn’t you love having a wedding concierge to tap into a few hours a month for advice? Our Assisted planning services give you two hours a month with a seasoned wedding professional to work out all the bumps you’re encountering. This can also be combined with our day of or month of coordination services.
- Full-Service Wedding Planning: Start to finish, everything, and we do mean everything, you need! Budgeting, vendors, planning, itineraries, timelines, rehearsal coordination and more. This is for the couple that wants their dream wedding without the stress. Our team has the experience, passion and are wedding professionals you can count on.
Unsure of what we can help you with? Give us a call or send us an email and we’re happy to discuss the level of planning that will fit your needs and your budget.